Thursday, November 8, 2012

Japan


Sister Eddy has been in Japan for a little over a month now.  I'm FINALLY getting around to updating her blog.  Sorry!  Life has been VERY busy for all of us lately.

She's sent us a few pictures since she's been in Japan.  




  
Because I'm so far behind in this blog, I thought I'd share some excerpts from her e-mails the past few weeks.  She can tell you all about her experiences much better than I can!  :)  Enjoy...

...We were planning our church Halloween party on Sunday and I just about died of laughter. The ward counsel was trying to think of some activities we could do. Anyway, they decided to have a pinata and oh my goodness, to hear everyone try to say the word pinata was the funniest thing I've ever experienced. Haha, they all just kept saying it over and over and they couldn't say it. I would say it out loud and they all tried to mimic me and they just couldn't do it. Also, I mentioned that we should do that mummy squirt bottle toilet paper game we do at Grandmas and they were all so amazed by that idea. They now call me the Halloween professional. Pretty great.

...Okay... so in general to everyone, let me just say... Japan is amazing! Don't get me wrong, there have been many a times I have gotten really frustrated and just wanted to give up, but I have to tell you... this mission is the best decision I've made in my life. It's hard work and very tiring, but the people are so amazing and I am learning so much. I have loved being able to spend so much time studying the gospel and have really learned a lot about myself and about how I can work to become more like Christ. I'm trying to just give up everything to Him and really trust in His plan for me. I feel that if I just surrender my will to Him and just give Him all my ambitions, dreams, desires and hopes that he will be able to make me into the missionary I need to be. I feel like on my own I could be a pretty good person and a pretty decent missionary, but I've learned that that isn't enough. If I just trust Him and do what HE wants me to do, He can make me immeasurably more than what I will ever in a million years, make of myself. It's so amazing and I just can't expressed to you how grateful I am for this time to be shaped into the person I want to be the rest of my life. It's so hard, but I can do hard things, so it's okay. I read this quote last week that really makes sense so I want to share it. "The purpose of this life is to change to become more like Christ. It is to incorporate into your being His qualities. The scriptures, the Church and the restoration, the ministry and atonement of Jesus Christ make no difference unless they get inside of you. Unless they become a part of you. Often we are deceived to think that the gospel is harder than what is is. Life is hard, not the gospel. You can become what you choose to become. You can. If you don't, it will only be because you chose not to, not because you can't, not because it is too hard."  

...I finally got a new bike. It's adorable of course. Mint colored, cute little basket and seat... ah, I love it. I am mad though because last week it was super dark and we were riding on a busy road heading back home from the store. This guy was coming right at me on his bike and he hit me. I hit the curb and just lay there. My companions were really far ahead of me so they didn't know what happened. These teenagers stopped and helped me. Both of my hands are like hamburger meat and my foot got a chunk of skin taken out of it. Super sick. I bruised up my knee pretty badly and it's been sore, but luckily I am starting to recover. It was not fun though. I cried the whole way home. Anyway.... ending on that depressing note. I am fine now! Loving life and loving Japan. Foods delicious. People are awesome. Work is tough, but super fun. I miss you all and love you all! The church is true errbody!! 愛しています!!!

...Things are going great. I have been sick, but i'm finally starting to recover and I am so happy about that. Everyone is so nice and helpful, so it hasn't been too stressful. Last Saturday we had zone training with President and Sister Gustafson in Hikari. For the last week they have traveled to all the different areas of the Fukuoka mission to see how we are doing and to tell us about some new mission updates. It was so great to see them and talk to them. They really are so amazing. Next week they are going to Seoul Korea to have special mission president training, so that should be interesting. We've been busy traveling between Hatsukaichi, Takasu and Hikari, but its great. Tonight we are spending the night in the Hikari apartment and then tomorrow, sister Watanabe and Hattanda are going back to Hatsukaichi to dendo and then I'm staying in Hikari for the day and dendoing with a YSA returned sister missionary in Hikari. We played rock paper scissors 3 times to decide who would stay in Hikari and I was the odd one out every time. I'm a little nervous to not have my companions with me and be in an area that I don't really know, but it will be really exciting and fun, so yeah... go me. Haha anyway, I wanted to share a little bit about some of our investigators and members that we visit.
Teraoka Nahomi a.k.a. Natchan is 18 years old. She has been an investigator since earlier this year. she has been taught all the lessons and goes to church, institute and Eikaiwa. She really is pretty much already a member, except, she hasn't been baptized. :( She doesn't feel she can get baptized without telling her dad and sister about the church. They lived in a different city and she doesn't see them much. She has really been struggling with finding the courage to talk to them. We've asked if we could go with her to visit them, but she is scared. Anyway, the last week or so has kind of been a turning point... or will be soon. The last couple of times we have met with her the spirit has been so strong. We have prayed with her to help her have the courage to share the gospel and on fast Sunday we fasted with her for her and her family.

Morita san (Brother Morita) is not a member. He's in his 40's. He has been an investigator for 10 years. He has been taught everything and again is really such an amazing person. He knows so much about life and the gospel. He can't be baptized though because he can never come to church. He works every single Sunday morning. We only have one time slot of church in Japan from 10-1 because there aren't many members. Its been hard, because he wants to be baptized and he wants to come to church, but he can't change his job because he feels he is too old and they aren't willing to work with him. I hope and pray that some miracle will happen that will be able to change his situation.

okay... I am out of time, but I want to hurry and tell you about one member. Sister Matsuoka. She is in the hospital and has  been for about 6 months. She had a brain hemmorage that paralyzed the entire left side of her body. She used to be the RS president and now she can't go to church. We visit her every Sunday night at the hospital on the top of the hill. Last night when we visited her she just cried while we talked. I was blessed with the gift of tongues for a while and actually spoke to her a little bit in Japanese. She cant move much, but I held her good hand and she just hugged me and told me how much she loved me and how happy she was that I came to Japan to help her and all these people. ugh... it really was amazing. I love her so much. I told her that she was like a mom to me and she just cried and cried and apologized for not being a good mother. Then I told her all of her blessings and how much we and heavenly father love her. I can't even imagine how it must feel for her to go from busy RS pres always taking care of things to being confined to the hospital all by herself all day everyday. I really feel for her and love her so much. Even though the bike ride up to the hospital always kills me... its so worth it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment